Meet the Extensive ASUS Perfect Warranty, covering 80% repairs costs from user damages
Laptops from ASUS come with a standard 2-year global warranty, and that’s already pretty neat, but recently they’ve decided to sweeten that a little further with an after-sales service called the ASUS Perfect warranty.
What does it cover?
Damages from liquid spillage
Accidental drops causing breakage
LCD, Main Board, Processor, Hard Disk Drive, SSD, memory or parts is identified by ASUS under Key Parts category
What’s Not Covered:
Scratches and Dents
Installation of incorrect or inadequate programs
Lost or stolen laptops
Damages from acts of God, Nature or War
Misc accessories and cables
ASUS will cover 80% of the total repairs, and the end user will pay the remaining 20% and labor fees (determined by amount of work needed to repair claimed device)
Malaysia and Brunei purchased devices. Outside of these countries don’t apply.
Any purchase of ASUS Consumer Notebook & Gaming Series from 1st January 2020 (Only applicable for ASUS Consumer Notebook & Gaming Series launched from 1st January 2019 and 2020 onwards.
Consumer is eligible for (1) time Repair Service on the (1st) year of manufacturer warranty. Perfect Warranty is not applicable on the (2nd) year of manufacturer warranty.
Bring your device to any authorized Service Center in Malaysia or Brunei
Bring your purchase receipt/invoice (it will be validated)
You’ll be quoted after an assessment
Pay and collect device once they’ve contacted you
Here is the full list of ASUS laptops eligible for ASUS Perfect Warranty. Essentially all ASUS laptops launched since 2019 are eligible, but you can double check to see if your laptop is listed below, just to be sure: